Food Industry Guide to Allergen Management and Labelling for Australia and New Zealand (FIGAML)
The 2019 Food Industry Guide to Allergen Management and Labelling for Australia and New Zealand is a partnership document of the Australian Food and Grocery Council and the Allergen Bureau.
The Guide describes industry best practice for the management of allergens, allergen labelling, and allergen communication. In this Guide, ‘allergens’ are the foods or substances that are listed in the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code (the Code) Section 1.2.3—4 Mandatory declaration of certain foods or substances in food.
The Guide provides:
- an overview of food allergy and food intolerance
- a description of the requirements outlined in the Code regarding food allergens that require labelling in Australia and New Zealand
- information about international food allergen regulations
- guidance on the management of food allergens in the manufacture and supply of food ingredients and finished products
- information on analysis for allergens
- best practice guidance for allergen declaration and communication, including the application of the VITAL Program for risk assessment and labelling of cross contact allergens.
- guidance on the management and communication of a change in allergen status of a food product
- guidance on the management of reports in relation to alleged allergic reactions to a food the company has supplied
- information about food recalls.
Download the 2021 Food Industry Guide to Allergen Management and Labelling for Australia and New Zealand.