Low FODMAP, Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1+2/3 cup mashed pumpkin or squash (see notes below)*
- 1+1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic infused oil (divided)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- Approximately 10 fresh sage leaves (roughly chopped)
- Salt, to taste
- Vegan parmesan (to top)
- Cracked black pepper (to top)
- Roughly chopped pine nuts (to top, optional)
I first baked 1/2 of a small pumpkin (skin on) in the oven for 1 hour at 375F/190C (until soft and the skin easily peels off.
Then, put the pumpkin through a potato ricer or mash using a potato masher (do not blend as you don’t want the pumpkin to be overmixed).
Equally as important, you don’t want any chunks of pumpkin as the gnocchi dough will need to be as smooth as possible (pick out any visible pieces of solid pumpkin).
- Dust a flat surface with gluten-free flour, and then start to combine all of the mashed pumpkin with the remaining flour until a dough is formed (this will take a few minutes – the dough should be smooth with no chunks, but be careful not to over-knead).
- Continue to knead until no loose flour remains (you may need to add more flour if the dough is still sticky).
- Roll the dough into two logs (about 2 cm thick)
- Slice each log into about 20 pieces (or as large as you’d prefer your gnocchi pieces)
- Roll each piece of gnocchi over the top surface of a fork (to create indentations)
- Boil a large pot of salted water
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and cook until all pieces have floated to the top
- Remove from heat and let them sit for an additional 30 seconds
- Drain (reserving a few tbsp of the water), and set aside
- In a large frying pan, heat vegan butter over medium heat until melted. Continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until it develops a nutty aroma
- Add the garlic infused oil, chopped sage and a large pinch of salt
- Continue to cook until sage starts to fry/crisp, then add in a few tbsps of the reserved water (to thin out the sauce)
- Add in gnocchi and fry until lightly golden brown
- Serve topped with vegan parmesan, cracked black pepper and pine nuts (optional)