Plant-Based Chickpea Paella
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 27 mins
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- small pinchsaffron (optional)
- 200g paella rice
- 1400g can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1400g can of tomatoes
- 750ml veg stock
- 1 1/2cups frozen petits pois
- Dice the onion and peppers.
- Add the oil to a large sautee pan along with the chopped onions and peppers – cook for 5 mins until they start to soften.
- Now add the crushed garlic, paprika, turmeric, thyme and saffron (if using) and stir to combine. Cook this for 1-2 mins until fragrant.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (rice, chickpeas, tomatoes and stock) and cook uncovered for 15 mins.
- Stir in the petits pois and cook for another 5 mins.
- Season with the dulse flakes to taste.
Claire Hunter is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Holistic Nutritionist specialising in IBS, gut health, and plant-based diets. She runs an online virtual clinic helping people manage and reduce distressing digestive symptoms, and optimise their gut health through evidence-based nutrition and lifestyle interventions.