Using gluten free grains such as brown rice & quinoa is the perfect way to bump up the fibre content of our meals – something that the majority of us Australians don’t consume enough of (and meeting the recommended intake becomes harder when we require a gluten-free diet).
One final note before we get cooking – something I always like to mention is that I am a dietitian and not a chef. If a nutritious recipe is not quick & easy, it doesn’t make the cut for me! So, with my tick of approval, this is the perfect weeknight dinner or addition to a summer BBQ or get together.
- 1 cup brown rice & quinoa
- 2 fillets salmon
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Dried spices – turmeric, paprika, garlic, cumin, pepper
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 cucumber
- ½ cup nuts and seeds – I used pine nuts, slivered almonds and pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup currants
- 2 handfuls baby spinach or other leafy greens
- Juice of 1 lime (or lime juice from bottle)
- Greek yogurt, to serve
- Cook rice & quinoa according to packet instructions
- Place salmon on a baking tray and drizzle with EVOO then sprinkle with spices and place in an oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 mins
- Meanwhile, finely chop parsley and cucumber
- Combine rice mixture, parsley, cucumber, nuts & seeds and currants in a bowl and drizzle with EVOO & lime juice
- Divide grain salad into bowls (serve hot or cold) with spinach and top with salmon fillet and a spoonful of Greek yogurt – Enjoy!
Serves 2 with left over grain salad