Low FODMAP Vegetable Pie
Prep Time: 40mins | Cook Time: 30mins | Total Time: 1hr 10min |Yield: 6 servings
(Rogan Josh Curry Paste)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 cm fresh ginger, chopped
- 1+1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 fresh red chillies, seeded
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic-infused oil
- 1 cup leeks, chopped
- 1+1/2 tbsp rogan josh paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g frozen spinach
- 3/4 cup low FODMAP vegetable stock
- 1 cup chopped carrots, cooked
- 1 cup chopped parsnips, cooked
- 1 cup chopped mini potatoes, cooked
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- gluten-free pastry, thawed
- 1 egg for wash (or 1–2 tbsp coconut oil)
(Rogan Josh Curry Paste)
- Heat up a dry frying pan over medium heat. Pop the cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, and peppercorns into the pan and toast them until you can smell them (about 1-2 minutes). Transfer the seeds to a small food processer or blender and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Once the seeds are cool, grind them into a fine powder. Then add the ginger and blend until the seeds form a paste. Pop in the rest of the ingredients and blend until the paste becomes smooth.
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Heat up your oil in a large frying pan. Then add the leeks, rogan josh paste, cumin seeds, and chilli flakes. Cook until the leeks are tender (about 5 minutes). Then stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the spinach and the vegetable stock and cook for 5 minutes to allow some of the broth to simmer off. Remove the pan from the burner.
- Mash the cooked vegetables in a separate bowl, then stir them into the frying pan and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the cheese (optional) and stir one more time to combine. Pop the filling into a pie dish and spread it out evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Roll out your pastry dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Gently whisk the egg in a small bowl and brush it around the edges of the pie dish. Place the pastry dough over the pie and trim off any extra bits. Then pinch around the edges of the pie with your fingers to make an airtight seal. Brush the pastry with egg, then make an X in the center of the pie using a sharp knife or a clean razor.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake until the pastry is golden brown (about 30-35 minutes). At the 15 minute mark, brush the top of the pie with any remaining egg mixture. Serve warm.
Amy is a Monash-certified health coach and founder of The FODMAP Formula – a website dedicated to explaining IBS and the low FODMAP diet in plain English.
When she’s not working with clients, this pun-loving Canadian can be found book-in-hand with a warm cup of coffee and at least one dog in her lap.