Low FODMAP Margherita Pizza
Has the Low FODMAP Diet left you with some hard-core pizza cravings?
With a few easy swaps, delicious, cheesy pizza can be part of your life again in no time.Need some FODMAP friendly topping ideas? Try this low FODMAP Margherita pizza.
- 1 pkg instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5 cups lukewarm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups gluten-free flour
- 3 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Rosemary (crushed)
- tbsp tomato puree
- pinch oregano
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 lg fresh basil leaves (torn)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Place yeast, sugar, and warm water in a heat-proof bowl and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. The water should become frothy as the yeast ferment.
- After 10 minutes, add eggs and olive oil and mix thoroughly. Then add the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, salt, and rosemary. Mix until the ingredients cling together in a sticky ball. Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and allow the dough to rise on the counter for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Split the dough into two parts. Place one-half of the dough on a piece of parchment paper and press it into the desired shape/thickness using your hand. The dough will be very sticky, so you may need to put a piece of plastic wrap over it while you work it into position.
- Once the oven is ready, place the pizza on a cookie sheet or directly onto a pizza stone. Cook on the lower rack for 15-20 minutes (until the top of the pizza is lightly browned). Then remove the pizza from the oven and cover it lightly with tomato puree. Sprinkle oregano, salt, and pepper, on the pizza sauce, then sprinkle with mozzarella. Place the pizza back into the oven for another 5 minutes (or until the cheese has melted).
- Once the cheese is melted, remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle it with fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve warm.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 people
- Serving Size: 1/4 Pizza
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 4 d
- Sodium: 559 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 108 mg
Recommended low FODMAP serving – 1/4 pizza per sitting.
Want to know how to take your Margherita pizza to the next level? Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on your pizza right before you serve it! I recommend putting it in a small container and drizzling it with a spoon so you don’t drown your pizza by accident.
Amy is a Monash-certified health coach and founder of The FODMAP Formula – a website dedicated to explaining IBS and the low FODMAP diet in plain English.
When she’s not working with clients, this pun-loving Canadian can be found book-in-hand with a warm cup of coffee and at least one dog in her lap.