Low FODMAP Chicken Curry with Coconut Quinoa
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
Recipe by Courtney Roulston
- 8 Coles Free Range RSPCA Approved Chicken Drumsticks (can also use thigh)
- 1 tablespoon fodmap friendly garlic infused oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 20 fresh curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons low fodmap curry powder (*check for no garlic or onion)
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 can (400g) tomatoes, crushed
- 2 cups low fodmap chicken stock
- 1 cup Coles Organic Dairy Free Coconut Yoghurt
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ bunch fresh coriander stems to serve
- 1 lemon to serve
- 1 ½ cups Wellness Road Australian White Quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 or 1/4 cup Coles Shredded Coconut, toasted
- Place the rinsed quinoa into a medium sized pot over a medium heat and pour in 3 cups cold water. Bring up to a simmer for 8 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed. Turn the heat down to very low, cover with a lid and leave to steam for 10-12 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the chicken drumsticks for 2 minutes each side to brown, turning occasionally. Remove the chicken and place on a plate and set aside.
- Place the pan back onto the heat and cook the ginger and curry leaves for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add in the curry powder and fry for 1 minute to toast the spices. Add in the carrot, tomatoes, stock and return the chicken. Cover with a lid and leave on a simmer for 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through.
- Remove curry from the heat and stir through the baby spinach, half of the coconut yoghurt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Dollop over the remaining coconut yoghurt and scatter with coriander sprigs. Mix the coconut through the quinoa, place into a bowl and serve with the curry.
Courtney Roulston first rose to fame after finishing as a finalist in Series 2 of MasterChef Australia 2010.
Since 2011, Courtney has been working as the Head Chef at the Sydney Swans AFL team, cooking for the players and working closely with the Team Dietician.
For the past decade, she has also proudly represented Coles Supermarkets as an Ambassador and has had the pleasure of immersing herself within various events, media and catering jobs scattered throughout Australia.
Having recently participated in MasterChef Season 12 (All Stars Back to Win), you can also watch Courtney in Season 2 of the popular cooking series ‘Farm To Fork’ – currently airing on Network Ten.