Italian-Style Vegan Hot Chocolate
- 500ml soy milk (full-fat)
- 50g vegan dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Finely grate 2 squares of chocolate. Set aside.
- Break remaining chocolate into individual squares.
- In a small saucepan, heat 50ml of soy milk over low temperature.
- Once the milk is hot, add golden syrup, cacao powder, 8 squares of chocolate and vanilla (if using). Stir with a whisk or wooden spoon until combined.
- Gradually add the remainder of milk, being careful to add only a small amount at a time and to combine completely before adding more. This is important, as if you add too much too quickly, the mixture will split.
- Continue to heat, stirring constantly for another 3-5 minutes, until desired temperature is reached.
- Remove from heat, add 1/4 cup coconut cream and stir until combined.
- Serve immediately, top with coconut cream and grated chocolate.
Liz (Vegan Diaries) Vegan Easy Guest Blogger
My name’s Liz! I’m a food blogger based in Melbourne, Australia.
I went vegan in August 2019 and it sparked a love of exploratory cooking. I started sharing what I was eating on Instagram, and found an opportunity to make simple plant-based recipes that fit into a busy lifestyle.
When I’m not cooking or baking sourdough, I’m reading or watching Netflix on the couch with my husband, Steve and our cat, Sooki. I maintain a love-hate relationship with running, and I’m a big fan of at-home yoga (Yoga with Adriene is my favourite). I’m a bit of a self-help addict, I binge on podcasts that educate and inspire. My TV go-tos are 90s sitcom re-runs, critically acclaimed dramas, period films, or thought-provoking docos. I’m multi-passionate and always have some sort of project on the go. Empathy is my superpower and my kryptonite!
I hope my blog can be a useful source of information and inspiration for you to dabble more in vegan living. Feel free to reach out with any thoughts or comments here or on social media.