- 6large eggs at room temperature
- 215g caster sugar
- 170g gluten free self raising flour plus extra for dusting
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
- Strawberry jam
- Fresh strawberriessliced
- Freshly whipped cream
- Icing sugar sieved
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Butter two 7” round sandwich tin, then dust lightly with gluten free flour.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until very thick and pale. The batter should hold the figure of 8 for a few seconds after the whisk has been lifted up out of the bowl.
- Carefully sieve in half of the gluten free flour. Fold in gently using a butter knife or a spatula.
- Sieve in the remaining flour, salt and xanthan gum. Fold in gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sponge springs back when pressed and a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 5 to 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, spread strawberry jam onto one of the cakes. Top with slices of strawberry and then with whipped cream.
- Gently place the second cake on top.
- To finish, dust with icing sugar.