Gluten Free Brown Loaf
PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOK TIME 50 MINS | SERVINGS 1 LOAF
- 250g gluten free brown flour sifted
- 200g gluten free self raising flour sifted
- 1tsp bread soda ensure gluten free
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 1tsp salt
- 350ml buttermilk
- 1tsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Mix the flours, bread soda, xanthan gum and salt together in a bowl.
- Combine the egg with the buttermilk and honey in a jug, then mix into the flour. Add a little more buttermilk if the mixture is dry – it should be a soft dough.
- Pour the dough into a lightly oiled loaf tin. Sprinkle sesame seeds or gluten free porridge oats over the top of the loaf if desired.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Then remove from the oven, turn the loaf upside down, and return to the oven for a further 6-8 minutes. You’ll know the loaf is ready when it sounds hollow when you tap the bottom.
- Remove from the tin and wrap in a clean tea towel while cooling to keep the crust soft.
Hello! I’m Niamh a.k.a A Gluten Free Mummy
I’m a Home Economics and SEN teacher from Co. Galway, Ireland. I’m also mummy to Evie-Marie (aged 2) and Páidí (aged 1).
So, why the gluten free food blog?
Well, long story short, from the age of 11 to 16 I was in and out of hospital with severe tummy pains. After every test, probe and medication going – as well as multiple abdominal surgeries – the doctors were still unable to diagnose a cause. On the way home from hospital one day when I was 16 years old, we stopped at a health shop. At her wits end, my mum told the lady working there about my constant abdominal pain, and how the cause couldn’t be found. That wonderful lady took one look at me and said ‘Put her on a gluten free diet immediately’. Overnight, my life changed, and I’ve now been gluten free – and pain free – for almost 20 years.
I’ve always loved to cook and bake, and over the years I’ve adapted many of my favourite family recipes to suit a gluten free diet. I’m passionate about helping others to adapt to a gluten free diet. For many, it’s a daunting prospect, so I hope this website will be a source of information, recipes and support.
Stay safe, happy and gleefully gluten free!