- 250g gluten free brown flour sifted
- 200g gluten free self raising flour sifted
- 1tsp bread soda ensure gluten free
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 1tsp salt
- 350ml buttermilk
- 1tsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Mix the flours, bread soda, xanthan gum and salt together in a bowl.
- Combine the egg with the buttermilk and honey in a jug, then mix into the flour. Add a little more buttermilk if the mixture is dry – it should be a soft dough.
- Pour the dough into a lightly oiled loaf tin. Sprinkle sesame seeds or gluten free porridge oats over the top of the loaf if desired.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Then remove from the oven, turn the loaf upside down, and return to the oven for a further 6-8 minutes. You’ll know the loaf is ready when it sounds hollow when you tap the bottom.
- Remove from the tin and wrap in a clean tea towel while cooling to keep the crust soft.