Curry Chickpea Veggie Burger with Cilantro Mint Chutney
Vegan & Gluten Free
Say hello to the best chickpea veggie burger ever! I may be biased, but trust me – this burger checks all the boxes. It’s flavorful, hearty, easy to make and even grillable. Plus, it’s full of plant-based protein, veggies, and is 100% gluten free and vegan.
When it comes to veggie burgers I prefer them to taste like veggies and beans, not like “fake meat” or many of the unusual flavors of the processed store-bought varieties, so if you feel the same way, this burger is definitely for you! This curry-inspired recipe is crafted with whole, nutrient-rich ingredients. With spices like curry powder, paprika, ginger, and garlic, the end result is a bold and vibrant aromatic burger that will delight your tastebuds. I have made this for picky eaters, meat lovers, and veggie-burger-haters, and the feedback is unanimous: DELICIOUS.
One of the challenges with homemade veggie burgers can be achieving the right texture. Because they’re usually made with moisture-rich vegetables, they can oftentimes end up too soft, mushy, wet in the middle, crumbly, or lacking flavor. I think I can safely say that is not what any of us are searching for! After lots of recipe testing and experimenting I have can finally say I have achieved the perfect veggie burger texture! The result is meaty, hearty, stable enough to hold its own on a bun, and bursting with flavor. Because of its firm, burger-like texture, this recipe can be pan seared, grilled, or my favorite option: baked!
What Toppings to This Chickpea Veggie Burger
The cilantro mint chutney is my topping of choice for this curry-flavored burger, as it serves as a bright and refreshing contrast to the earthy, bold and robust burger, but there are many other great additions. For example:
How to Serve
Don’t let the word “burger” limit the creative possibilities with this patty! Quite the contrary, the possibilities are endless. Some other ways to enjoy this delicious burger are:
- Lettuce Wraps: Serve in lettuce leaves instead of a bun for a lighter, low carb option
- On Top of a Salad or Nourish Bowl
- Pita Wrap: Wrap in a tortilla or pita for a grab and go lunch
- Tofu Scramble: Add to your morning tofu scramble for a nutrient rich breakfast
- Rice Bowls: Crumble over rice with sautéed veggies
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C cremini, portobello, or white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 C gluten free rolled oats
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 TBSP curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/2 C cilantro
- 1 TBSP tamari, soy sauce, or liquid aminos
- 2 TBSP chili garlic sauce
- 3 TBSP ground flax seed
Cilantro Mint Chutney
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 C cilantro
- 1/2 C mint
- 2 TBSP ginger
- 1/4 C unsweetened coconut milk yogurt
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- red cabbage, chopped
- pickled onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray with olive oil and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add a small amount of water or olive oil. Add in onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add in mushrooms, carrots, and jalapeño and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer cooked veggies to a food processor and add in remaining ingredients. Pulse until well combined, but not pureed. It is important to NOT over mix as you do not want a wet mushy mess. It is ideal to still have some chunkiness to your mixture! If it is a little too wet, add additional oats 1 TBSP at a time.
- Form patties (6) by rolling into balls and flattening between your palms. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add all ingredients for chutney to a blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste.
- Serve as desired with recommended toppings.
Welcome to jackfruitful kitchen + blog!
Jackfruitful Kitchen provides delicious, easy-to-follow, vegan and gluten-free recipes to help make healthy cooking and meal planning a breeze. These balanced plant-based recipes will nourish your body and help you look and feel your very best. Jackfruitful Kitchen recipes are crafted with pure whole foods and organic ingredients that are good for you and good for the planet.
The name jackfruitful kitchen was inspired by 4 different parts: 1. My first name (Jackie) 2. One of my favorite ingredients for vegan cooking (Jackfruit) 3. The ability to be full and satisfied by eating clean, whole, plant-based food 4. The goal to live a more fruitful life.
I hope that you enjoy my posts and find my recipes quite “fruitful”. Cheers!
XO – Jackie