Ingredients (makes 6-8 cookies):
- ½ cup almond meal (sub for buckwheat flour if nut intolerant)
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 heaped tbls cacao powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbls coconut oil, melted
- 1 whole egg (sub for 1 flax or chia “egg” if intolerant – 1 tbls flaxseed meal (or freshly grind 1 tbls flaxseeds) or chia seed + 2.5 tbls water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbls hulled tahini (or runny nut butter if not intolerant)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper
- If using a flax or chia “egg” replacement, combine flaxseed meal or chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 mins to form a gel-like consistency
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Melt coconut oil in a separate bowl. Add vanilla extract and tahini. Mix to combine. Pour coconut oil mixture into dry mixture.
- Whisk egg and add to mixture. Or add flax/chia “egg” into the mixture. Stir to combine well.
- Place in the fridge for 10-15 mins to firm up. This will ensure the cookies stay formed in the oven rather than go flat.
- Spoon mixture into 6-8 small balls onto baking tray. Press the top down slightly.
- Bake for 10 mins. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like the following: