GF Better For You Pad Thai With Red Papaya
A delicious, healthier Pad Thai recipe with burst of fresh, tropical red papaya. Recipe is gluten free and dairy free.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 mins
- 60ml tamari (or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 cup almond butter or nut butter of choice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp tamarind paste (or juice of 1 lime)
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 400 g your choice of protein (chicken strips, prawns, tofu)
- 3 eggs whisked
- 1 red capsicum julienned
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1.5 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green spring onions finely sliced
- oil for cooking (coconut oil, macadamia nut oil or mild extra virgin olive oil)
- 4 serves flat rice noodles (or noodles of choice)
- 1/2 small Ruby Rise Red Papaya deseeded, diced
- crushed peanuts
- fresh red chilli sliced
- fresh coriander leaves
- lime wedges
- Prepare the sauce by whisking together tamari, almond butter, honey, fish sauce, tamarind paste and lime juice. If almond butter is too thick, warm to thin out and easily mix. Set aside.
- Cook noodles to packet instructions. Drain well. Set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat a generous amount of cooking oil. Add eggs and tilt pan to spread. Use a spatula to frequently mix eggs around to scramble until cooked through. Set aside.
- Add additional oil to frying pan and add garlic, your choice of protein and capsicum. Stir regularly over medium heat until cooked through.
- Add cooked and drained noodles and scrambled egg. Toss to combine.
- Add sauce and stir to mix through.
- Add bean sprouts, spring onions, diced papaya and stir through just before serving.
- Serve topped with crushed peanuts, chilli, coriander and lime wedges.
For a low carb version use, kelp noodles spiralled vegetables or konjac noodles. For a grain-free version use the above low carb option or sweet potato noodles.
To make this recipe peanut free leave out crushed peanuts and instead use crushed dry roasted almonds.
Passionate about inspiring you to live a healthy and happy life, nutritionist, naturopath and mum Casey-Lee Lyons shares recipes that nourish your body from the inside out. Her healthy and easy recipes are made with whole food ingredients, free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar.
Casey-Lee shares easy-to-understand nutrition advice and healthy lifestyle inspiration to help you embrace your best life via her website and Online Program ’Nourish From The Inside Out.’
To download her free recipe e-book or to browse through hundreds of delicious recipes visit www.livelovenourish.com.au or follow Live Love Nourish on social media.