Berry Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut cream
- Combine berries, sugar and water in saucepan and bring to boil.
- Allow to simmer to reduce a little, thicken and dissolve sugar. Allow to cool.
- Once cool, puree in food processor then push through a sieve to strain off seeds.
- Combine berry syrup and coconut cream in large bowl and beat with electric beaters until thick, then pour into shallow container and place in freezer until it starts to freeze.
- When mixture starts to form ice crystals, take out of freezer and put into bowl and beat with electric mixer until thick and has increased in volume.
- Pour into container and cover with lid and place back in freezer to set.
- Take out of freezer for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Kathleen Hedger is a chef and mum of two boys, both who live with eosinophilic oesophagitis and severe allergies. Both her boys were diagnosed with allergies as infants and then as adolescents they were also diagnosed with eosinophilic oesophagitis.
Their allergies inspired Kathleen’s passion for developing allergy friendly recipes and being able to share them with others. Many of the allergy friendly recipes she has developed are being included in the ausEE Allergy Friendly Recipe Book.