Having easy and nutritious snack ideas and planning ahead will help to keep you on track with healthy eating and feeling full, satisfied and energised while eating a low-FODMAPs diet.
The following is a handy list of healthy and balanced snacks you may like to incorporate for morning/afternoon tea or supper! Included are links to a few low-FODMAP recipes, plus, scroll down for a recipe for a delicious roasted eggplant dip, great with low-FODMAPs crackers or veggie sticks.
1/ A serve of low-FODMAPs fruit. For example:
- 20 blueberries or 10 raspberries
- 2 peeled kiwi-fruit
- 2 small mandarins
- 1 x orange
- 1C pineapple
Pair this with…
2/ Lactose-free yoghurt (150-200g).
3/ Nuts and seeds. For example:
- 10 almonds
- 1T flaxseeds
- 10 hazelnuts
- 32 peanuts
- 2T chia
- 10 walnut halves
4/ FODMAP friendly vegetable sticks. For example:
- 12 green beans
- Sliced capsicum
- 1/4 stalk celery
- 1T peanut butter
- 4T cottage cheese
- Our beetroot dip, hummus, roast pumpkin and walnut dip, or cobless spinach dip.
6/ Edamame beans (1C).
- Eat plain or toss w/ herbs and spices. E.g. a little olive oil, a pinch of salt and paprika or harissa. Roast for 10 min if desired.
7/ Tinned salmon or tuna.
- Plain rice or corn cakes, and a light scrape of avocado if desired.
- Easy, high-fibre and cheap! Avoid lashings of butter and salt. Mix in some nuts and seeds.
9/ Slice low-FODMAPs toast.
- Bruschetta – 4 cherry tomatoes, squeeze lemon, coriander
- 1T peanut butter
10/ Mini vege frittata’s.
- One of my all time favourite snacks! Make mini frittata’s in muffin tins using 5-6 eggs, 1/2C lactose-free milk, low-FODMAP veg (try spinach, tomatoes, olives, capsicum & cheese) and salt and pepper. Bake @180C for 20-25 mins.
11/ Cheddar cheese, tomatoes and rice/corn crackers.
12/ Roasted chickpeas (1/4 C).
- Toss w/ oil, herbs and spices. Roast for ~35-45min at 200 degrees C until starting to brown. Move around halfway to cook evenly. Leave to cool, best served immediately.
- Spice ideas:
- 1 T garlic infused olive oil, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp oregano
- 1 T garlic infused olive oil, 1 tsp rosemary, zest of 1 lemon
13/ Low-FODMAPs muesli bars. For example:
- 1 x Carmen’s fruit-free or Super Berry Muesli
- Better yet – MYO like these from MONASH website.
14/ Boiled eggs (1-2).
- 1 x serve low-fodmap fruit
15/ Fruit/vege smoothie. For example:
- 1 cup low-FODMAP milk + small handful ice (just to cool it down) and 1/3 banana + 1/8 avocado + 30g blueberries + 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter + tsp LSA.
Roast eggplant dip recipe!
- 1 medium eggplant
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1T tahini
- 1T for roasting + 1T additional garlic infused olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Finely chopped parsley, coriander or shallots (~1/2 bunch) – your choice!
1/ Dice eggplant, place on baking tray, drizzle w/ 1T olive oil and roast @ 180C for ~1/2 hr until soft.
2/ Blitz eggplant in food processer or high powered blender w/ all other ingredients and you’re done!