The Secret to Baking Fluffier Gluten Free Pancakes
Chef Rejoice Thomson
GLUTEN-FREE VANILLA PANCAKES
By: Chef Rejoice Thomson – Dovetail Social and Dovetail on Overend Cafe, Brisbane
Serves 6 to 8
1 ½ cup gluten-free plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp xanthan gum (omit if blend has it)
3 egg whites
3 tablespoon sugar
3 egg yolks
1 cup milk
2 tablespoon melted cooled butter
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Ube extract
1. In a big bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. Stir with whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
2. In a separate medium size bowl, mix the egg yolks, butter, vanilla, milk, and ube extract.
3. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mix. Lightly stir until just blended.
4. In another bowl, beat egg whites to medium peak and add sugar a teaspoon at a time. Continue to beat until stiff peaks.
5. Preheat your pan or flat griddle between low to medium heat.
6. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter using a spatula.
7. Pour batter onto pan in desired amount and cook the pancakes anywhere between 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown
8. Serve with ice cream, your choice of fruit, or maple syrup.
Rejoice Thomson Café Owner/ Pastry Chef – Dovetail Social & Dovetail on Overend, Brisbane A qualified pastry chef, Rejoice is proud owner of Dovetail Social – much loved coeliac-friendly Brisbane cafes in Highgate Hill and Norman Park. Rejoice has embraced her cultural heritage and showcases Filipino influences in her food, desserts, and her now famous “Ambassador’s High Tea” – recently served to the Philippines Ambassador to Australia, Hon. Hellen De La Vega.
A strong advocate for the coeliac community, gluten free dishes are available at no extra cost. High Tea and all desserts are 100% gluten free. Rejoice was recipient of the Qld Filipino Australian Women Achievement Award in 2018, and the Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Entrepreneur of the Year Award in 2021.